The Real Coconut Kitchen
Gut Health & Hormones Talk
6 Markers of Good Health to work towards:
- Steady energy throughout your day from waking to bedtime
- Sleeping through the night without interruption. (7-9 hours)
- Excellent digestion – no bloating or excessive burping after meals, at least 2 or 3 firm-ish BM’s per day
- Healthy libido
- Absence of pain
- Quality of mood
Testing your own thyroid at home helps to know if you are in a stable metabolic state by testing your pulse and temp daily.
What does a healthy/normal metabolism look like?
Warm body, hands, feet and nose.
Body Temperature 97.8-98.6 degrees.
Pulse 77-80 bmp
Test for 2 weeks upon waking and 40 minutes after your largest meal
If your values are consistently out of range, either direction, this is indicative of a hypo-metabolic state.
Start with dietary changes, mild exercise like walking daily and supplements that support healthy metabolism.
Vitamins A B C D E and Magnesium.
For my product recommendations see HERE
Generative Energy Foods
*These are not the only foods you can consume of course but they are my favorite for boosting metabolism and fuel conversion to energy.
- Organic Fruit – Organic fruits and even fruit juices (without pulp) are a great tool for maintaining blood sugar if you consume them with a fat and a protein.
- Organic RAW Carrots– Raw carrots act like a natural antibiotic to aid your gut, thus they help you process food better, decrease bacteria and endotoxin in your gut. They are best consumed with 1 tsp. refined coconut oil, 1 tsp. of vinegar, and a clean White Sea salt. Consuming a raw carrot salad/day can also be used to balance your hormones, as it can detoxify you of excess estrogens.
- Organic Fats Expeller Pressed (refined)Coconut oil, ghee, tallow, lard, pure avocado oil, olive oil as a topping not to cook with.
- Organic Pastured Eggs– Eggs are loaded with vitamin B12, Vit D, Vit A, choline and leucine all of which are what your body utilizes to help metabolize fat.
- Raw/Organic Dairy – A complete food! Calcium helps breakdown fat, and milk and other dairy contain tons of calcium. If you are lactose intolerant try raw milk products. Since they are unpasteurized, they will contain the liver enzymes necessary for you to break down the milk protein. Organic ensures it is hormone and antibiotic free. (add in milk slowly (1-2oz/day) then try and work up to 8-24oz/day).
- Organic FRUIT Vegetables such as– Squash, zucchini, tomatoes, pumpkin, etc. Believe it or not, squash are fruits. They contain high levels of folate, Vitamin C and beta carotene.
- Organic White Potatoes – rich in protein, calcium, iron, potassium and vitamin C. Always eat potatoes with a fat and protein… add a little butter and eat with a serving of fish, meat or dairy.
- Organic grass-fed, FREE roaming meats–High quality meat contains B vitamins and all your essential amino acids. Grass –fed meats contain 1/2 to 1/3 less fat than grain fed beef. Consume in moderation, as these meats contain a high amount of phosphate to calcium. High phosphate to calcium has been linked to bone breakdown.
- Oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, lobster, scallops and crab are all good sources of high-quality protein. Shellfish contain vitamins A, C, D and E, copper, zinc, selenium and the B vitamins. Weekly consumption should be 2-3x week.
- Salt–it’s natures diuretic and is necessary to mobilize glucose (sugar). Clean source of salt increases your metabolism, decreases edema and helps muscles recover.
- Dark or dairy, organic chocolate —Chocolate contains healthy level of antioxidants, but it also contains stearic acid, a saturated fat and is a good source of the mineral magnesium, which is involved in about every metabolic process in the body.
- Bone broth and Gelatin. — Bone broth and gelatin are an amazing protein source free of the inflammatory amino acids cysteine, methionine, histidine and tryptophan. In addition, bone broth, gelatin and collagen have many anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
- LIVER Ounce for ounce liver is the most nutritious food on this planet. Liver contains large amounts of Vitamin A, copper, and B vitamins.
Are bio-identical hormones right for me?
Testing is always helpful. More pieces to the puzzle can only be beneficial. Testing coupled with understanding symptoms, you can get very far with achieving balance. There are hormones that are safer than others such as pregnenalone and progesterone, which donate to make every other hormone when needed and is in great demand in our bodies for metabolic regularity. And the thyroid hormones which can sometimes require the help of supplementation. Desiccated over the counter glandulars are an excellent way to help support a hypo-metabolic state.
I personally offer an in home dried urine test that gives a comprehensive look at adrenal and sex hormones which shows us your levels but also shows us if you are doing dangerous things with your hormones.
Interested in BIO identical Progesterone? Click HERE
USE COUPON CODE WISH for 10% off all products
*See your practitioner for guidance with hormones.
You can reach Kitty Martone here:
- healthygutgirl.com – Book and appointment for more information
- “Stuff Your Doctor Should Know” on all podcast platforms or on healthygutgirl.com/podcasts
- The estrogen dominance support group on FACEBOOK
- Healthygutgirl_ on Instagram